Saturday, July 6, 2013

July 6

I grew up a Fair kid. My grandpa was a founder of our county fair --which is no small event-- and my mom and grandma both worked in one of the exhibitor buildings. I accrued enough volunteer hours that I'm a lifetime member of the agricultural association, in fact (and if you know me personally, I betcha wouldn't have guessed that!). I always looked forward to our week there every August and relished seeing the familiar faces. It's an interesting experience, seeing the same people just once a year. But anyway.

Today, we went to our local county fair.

It's not the same, of course, because we're in CA and I grew up in MD. But it's the same idea, so it's a wonderful little shot of nostalgia for me. And those nostalgic moments are a blessing to me. And it's also a blessing to see the kiddos having fun, whether it be by watching the pig races or taking part in the kids' tractor pull (which I also did as a kid; surprise number two!) or taking our annual silly photo booth pictures.

It was, all in all, a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment