Saturday, July 12, 2014

July 12

Our friend Kristine came over for dinner this evening.

She lives relatively close by, but her work schedule combined with our home life hasn't allowed for many meetings in recent times.

She was one of my best friends in college. In fact, as I reflected to her this evening while we sat on our family room couch, I might well have left our school after the first semester of my freshman year had I not been friends with her and a few other people; there was a group of girls who lived in my dorm who were, to be blunt, cruel to me as I struggled to adapt to living 3,000 miles from home. I no longer carry a grudge, but I'm still wary of some of them. It was a hard time, and like most people, I don't like to dwell on the hard parts of my life.

So yes... Kristine and a handful of others really saved my college experience. Saved my family that was to be, if I take the thought further.

Anyway, it was a blessing to sit with her and laugh. I don't laugh a lot these days; I don't find much about this life particularly amusing. But remembering some of our exploits during those simpler days... golden. And I'm so thankful for her and for those good memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment