Thursday, July 24, 2014

July 24

Brady had a hard time going down tonight. After Adam finished his usual bedtime routine, I heard the little guy wailing that he didn't want to go to sleep. So I went upstairs to see if I could help. At first, he resisted me, but eventually, after a little bit of coaxing, I had him in my lap in our cozy old glider.

We talked with hushed voices about the new Planes movie. And we sang the ABC song together. And eventually, I was able to get him to climb (willingly) into bed, cuddle up with Bear Bear, and snuggle under his blanket. He was calm as I watched from the doorway as he and Bear Bear waved good-night.

It's always nice to feel like I'm helpful; like I have a purpose. And the more I think about it, the more I realize that that old glider of ours has played host to many, many of my most useful, most meaningful moments. We bought it before Abby was born, and it served as my soothing/nursing/reading/rocking chair through all four kids. I have clear memories of rocking each and every one them in that chair, and given our experience... I treasure those memories and that ratty chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment