Thursday, October 16, 2014

October 16

I was a little frustrated a few minutes ago when I realized that I hadn't really had any distinctive "moments" today. And then I realized that today is a special day for at least two very important people in my life, so of course it makes sense that God would turn my heart toward them.

Gretchen (bottom pic, back row, the blonde third from the left) and I go way back to early elementary school. I don't have a lot of memories of my childhood, but I most definitely remember playing at her house and being in class together. Though we lost touch for a long while after my family moved, I was so happy to reconnect with her a few years ago via Facebook. She's a tender-hearted soul who's completely devoted to her family and friends; truly, I'm not sure a more loyal person exists. Anyway, today is her wedding anniversary. So happy anniversary, girl!

The second special person is Meg (top pic, curly hair). She was easily my best friend in high school. We navigated those challenging years together --literally-- in her dad's van, taking long drives through the country and sharing quesadillas and ice cream at Friendly's. I could probably write a lot about our misadventures, but to boil it down to its roots, I'll say that everyone needs that one friend who's always there to help sweep up the shards of the lesser parts of life. And for a while, she was that person for me. So happy birthday, Meg.

God blesses every single one of us via the people he places in our lives. So thank you, girls, for being where God put you and for having a lasting impact on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment