Friday, February 20, 2015

February 20

I had a little buddy with me as I walked to pick up Isaac from school this afternoon, and I'm not talking about Brady.

As I rounded the corner onto the next street over, this doggie enthusiastically stepped into my path. (Or maybe I should say he jiggled into my path; he was definitely a panting, snarfing jiggler.) After summarily sniffing at my feet, he jumped up and down a few times as he pawed at my legs. Initially I was a little scared; I've always found dogs a bit intimidating. I stood still for a moment, but then laughed once the feeling of fear passed. It was hard to not laugh at that funny little guy. I continued on my way.

And much to my surprise, he followed me. He tailed me across the street, down another street, and then across yet another street, panting and snarfing all the way. Every now and then he'd stop to sniff a bush or a tree and I'd continue on, thinking that perhaps he'd finally turn around and head home, but it would only take a moment before I'd hear his nails on the sidewalk behind me, scampering, scritching, scratching against the pavement as he worked to catch up.

Eventually, after another street was crossed, a city employee saw me and asked if he was my dog. After I said no, with a great tone of relief in his voice, he told me that he'd been looking for Buster all over the place and would take him home. And as quickly as that little dog had appeared in my path a few minutes earlier, he was gone.

But the whole experience left me smiling. I truly enjoyed Buster's company; I marveled over his devotion to following me around, even though he didn't know me from Adam. The world should be as Buster sees it; everyone should be friendly and we should never have to fear others. Even though that's not the current state of our world, it gave me hope for what will be, someday.

And some days, those little reminders are enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment