Tuesday, April 2, 2019

April 2

Today I will call The Tale of Two Walks.

The first of the two strolls began bright and early when Adam, Abby, my mother-in-law, and I set out on a power walk around the golf course. The golf course here is, of course, totally stunning, and features sweeping views of the Pacific as well as lovely greenery. But it takes a long time --and lots of elevation changes-- to complete a walk around an 18-hole course. Phew.

Then a few hours later, the kiddos stayed with their grandparents while Adam and I drove about an hour east/northeast to hike the Moalepe Trail, which is located within the island's interior and courses through forest and along lush ridgelines. We'd never taken on this particular path before, and though it had fewer views along the way to its terminal point (and beyond), the striking scenery that punctuated the last few hundred feet made it worth the effort.

With more than 37.6K steps in my bank for today, I'm pretty tired, but I wanted to touch on one truth before I drift off to sleep. We --literally-- almost turned back when we got to an especially muddy spot on the Moalepe Trail, but we opted to navigate around the muck and press onward for a few more minutes, and that decision is what gave us our best memories of the day, I think. It's a great reminder that we need to keep navigating and moving forward, even when our circumstances seem tougher --or messier-- than we might like them to be. After all, we often have no idea what great blessing will be right around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment