Saturday, March 27, 2021

March 27

Today marked the first official day of baseball season at our house. And let me tell ya, after last year's micro-season, it's been a long (long) time coming.

With Isaac initially (I'll get to that in a bit) scheduled to begin his season with a game a few stops up the freeway at noon and Brady's team set to debut at 11:30 here in town, we took the divide and conquer route: Adam headed off to San Ramon with our resident Intermediate, while I shuttled Brady to the Sports Park. 

Long story somewhat shorter, Adam messaged me shortly before Brady's game began (a half an hour late) and shared that Isaac's match-up had been moved to 4 (after they'd already made the drive -- ugh) so they were heading back down the freeway to take in the AAA A's action.

Anyway, Brady's game was a fun back and forth affair that featured contributions by all of the boys. For his part, Brady pitched an inning and escaped without allowing a run, even after the team loaded the bases with no outs. He also, however, wound up injured and opted to sit out the rest of the game after his attempt to steal home ended with a mouth-bloodying plate collision. (I think all of his teeth and his lip are fine, but it scared him and he needed a breather to recover.) In the end, the A's posted a 10-spot in the final frame and took the win 15-5.

From there we headed back to San Ramon for Isaac's opener. Although the team didn't fare as well as the A's and didn't notch the win, they delivered some good hits, Isaac had a stint on the mound and recorded a pair of strikeouts, and he had a good time playing. And when all things are said and done and they head off to bed, that is what matters most to me.

So today, I'm thankful for baseball and for conversations with new people who will no doubt become friends as the season progresses and for a hearty dose of normalcy. Because all of those things are very big deals to me. (Oh, and PS -- this photo shocks me. I mean, I knew Isaac had grown a lot, but wowzers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment