Friday, March 5, 2021

March 5

Today was huge because it marked Abby's first-ever drive to the Mother Ship. (And this is our first-ever selfie of her in the driver's seat and me riding shotgun.) It was glorious.

Coffee jokes aside, it really was a good day for her in the driver's seat. She asked yesterday if we were going to drive today and I said okay. Since she prefers Adam's Explorer to my X5, we borrowed his keys and we were off. We took a few turns around the neighborhood streets before heading for a parking lot where she practiced turning and watching out for pedestrians and parking and reversing. Then we headed back out onto the road, and though it wasn't planned, she wound up on a slightly busier street than I'd intended and since we were most of the way there, I said I'd get her a frappuccino if she drove to Starbucks. So she navigated her first few intersections, made it safely into the lot, and got her treat. And then she drove home. Yep: with the exception of one rather wheel-screeching Fast and Furious-like right turn (which was totally my fault), it was a lovely afternoon of trolling the streets.

It's crazy to think that she's already 16 and already learning to drive, but I continue to be thankful for her continued growth and development. We can't take anything for granted in this life of ours, so I am grateful for what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment