Thursday, March 4, 2021

March 4

Isaac had his second round of baseball evaluations this evening. I sat in the stands and watched him soft toss and then field and then hit (he's the blue dot with the red helmet at the plate here). And then I watched him fetch his glove and trot out to the far reaches of the outfield. While many of the boys clumped together in little packs, he stood alone. So I asked him about it later as we walked to the car.

His answer? "Well, I wasn't going to get too close and I wasn't going to talk to anyone because I didn't want to mess up my beats."

I wasn't quite sure what he meant, so I gently pressed for details.

He replied "Everything in life has a beat. I was on the field so I was listening to my baseball beat. I didn't want anything to mess that up."

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of his remarks, but I'm thankful that he can --and does-- focus when it counts. Given how often my mind wanders, I'm grateful that he's able to hone his into whatever he's doing in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment