Tuesday, April 11, 2023

April 11

You know what's not fun? Driving on 580 East at 2:30 PM on a weekday. It's a solid mass of intermittently slow-moving and recklessly darting vehicles. You know what's less fun? Driving in said-mess for 40 minutes before getting a call from your kiddo telling you that the game you were driving to see --and were 10 minutes away from reaching-- was canceled at the very last minute because the other team --the home team-- didn't show up to play. Ugh. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

That was my reality today. After releasing an impulsive expletive that probably made Isaac blush on the other end of the line, I muscled through the last part of that tedious drive, stopped at Sonic for a cherry slush (because I had to calm my frayed nerves somehow), and reversed course to head back toward Pleasanton.

As I drove and sipped on my icy treat, I took a series of deep breaths. And I admired the beautiful green hills and the sunshine and the blue, blue sky overhead. And slowly, the irritation faded. By the time I picked Isaac up from the high school and turned the car toward home, I felt fine. A wee bit chafed that I didn't get to see him play, but cognizant that there will be other games. And grateful that the change in plans meant that he and I could jet over to the fields here in town to watch Brady's team play. (And incidentally, he played well in their winning effort; 2-for-3 with a walk.) 

So yep: sometimes things don't go as planned and that's okay. Today I'm grateful for the reminder that being flexible and open to shifting plans can make life significantly more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment