Tuesday, September 15, 2015

September 15

Sixty-five degrees is good ice cream weather, right?

Although the mercury nearly broke last week with 100-plus degree temps, irony had it that today --the date of the elementary school's annual ice cream social-- would feature bordering-on-cold wind and jackets a'plenty. But of course, the colder weather didn't dampen the young ones' enthusiasm.

I love this picture. Though the wind whipped around their faces and the air was a good 30 degrees cooler than it was a week ago, this little trio had a grand time sitting at a table, laughing, and noshing on their sticky, sprinkle-and-chocolate-syrup-coated treats.

To be totally honest, I didn't want to go. I didn't want to deal with the inconvenience of taking them over to the school after hours. I didn't want to be cold. And I didn't want to sugar them up just a few hours before bed time. But you know something? I'm glad we went, because watching them be silly reminded me that having fun and interacting with friends --relating to others-- are vital elements of surviving this life we're living. And for those basic little reminders, I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment