Friday, September 25, 2015

September 25

The preschool's annual ice cream social took place tonight, so as soon as we finished with dinner, we piled into the van and headed over.

We chatted with friends and enjoyed whipped cream-and-sprinkle-laden sweet treats and played on the playground, and I briefly stole away from the crowd to visit the photo of Logan that hangs on his one-time classroom wall. But it didn't hit me until we went upstairs to check out the book fair and I looked across the playground at the fading sunlight in the distance: this was our last SLP ice cream social.

Since Brady is the baby, this year --and every year that follows-- will be filled with lasts. When it finally dawned on me, my heart broke a little because I'm not really ready to say good-bye to those precious, irreplaceable first years when life is dedicated to exploring the world and learning the basics of human life; before we're burdened with the cares of a broken world.

But at the same time, I felt a sense of gratitude, because I'm keenly aware that not everyone gets the chance to enjoy the wonder of raising little ones into bigger ones. It's not an easy life, but it's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment