Thursday, September 24, 2015

September 24

I'm cheating a little because the exchange I'm about to share happened a few days ago, but when I drove by the sign that precipitated the whole thing this afternoon, it jogged my memory and made me smile all over again.

As Brady and I sat at a red light a few days ago, I glanced in my rear view mirror and saw him looking quizzically at something in the distance. I asked what he was thinking about, and he replied 'why is a man falling down on that sign?' My gaze followed his, and I snickered to myself when I saw it: a regular 'walk' sign that had somehow lost its top bolt, leaving it to hang sideways. I explained that no, it wasn't actually a 'man falling' sign, and Brady accepted the rationale, though I'm not convinced he really bought it.

I love those moments; the ones when something that's so commonplace to adults that we ignore it is seen entirely differently through a kid's curious eye. It's the kind of experience that makes me want to view things from the perspective of the five-and-under crowd, and that's a blessed thing indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment