Thursday, September 3, 2015

September 3

Brady and I sat outside Starbucks this morning after drop-off. (Yes, we've done that several times over the past few weeks.) For a while, I just watched him munch on hid Goldfish crackers as I drank my coffee. We enjoyed some mommy-kid chit-chat, and then with school starting next week, I figured I should do a little bit of flagrant-teaching-on-the-sly. So I asked him what letters he could see.

Just five minutes later, we'd read several of the words printed on the window, and he'd successfully sounded out a few basic sight words. I was really pleased for him, because he was clearly proud of himself. When it comes to learning, I don't push my preschoolers. I never have, and I don't plan to push Brady, either, because I figure he'll have the rest of his life to be pushed and pressed and prodded in various educational settings. I like their learning to arise from natural circumstances, so it was a blessing to see him thinking and putting together those sounds today, just because he wanted to do it. Those moments when I stop and think 'wow, being a parent and watching my kids grow is so amazing' are some of the most profound God-moments of them all.

(And as an aside, it was kind of hilarious when, at the dinner table, Adam asked Brady if he'd read any words today, and after thinking, he replied 'no smoking!' A very good lesson all around, I'd say.)

No comments:

Post a Comment