Wednesday, March 9, 2016

March 9

I see quite a lot of myself in my daughter some days.

This evening I took said-child to the honor roll social at her school. The gym was packed with parents and kids. Abby stepped inside and immediately turned on her heel to leave. I told her that no, we were going to stay, but I felt for her, because when I was her age, I hated big crowds. I hated watching all of the kids running to and fro with their flavor-of-the-month BFFs in tow. I just wasn't comfortable with craziness, and I know she's not, either.

So she stuck it out. She got her certificate, lined up for the 4.0 picture, and got in line for a cookie. I saw her say hi to a few kids, but she's a quiet one, and I knew she was ready to go. She wasn't terribly keen on the idea, but my friend insisted on taking this picture of us. Now, a few hours later, I'm glad she did, because I don't think I'll ever have too many photos with my girl who is, at her core, pretty much just like her mom was 26 years ago. Though I'm far from perfect, it helps me understand her perspective a bit better, and when you're dealing with a pre-teen, that's definitely a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment