Sunday, August 13, 2017

August 13

Tomorrow, I'll officially have an 8th grader, a 4th grader, and a 1st grader. (And in my heart, of course, a 6th grader.) It'll be the first time I've ever had them all in full-day school, so in a way, it's the end of a 13-year era -- and the beginning of a brand new one.

But that's tomorrow and I don't want to get ahead of myself with the whole waxing poetic thing. Today, Abby went shopping with two of her friends. At the mall. By themselves.

It's really not as scary as it sounds because Maddie is actually in college and is one of our old baby-sitters. But it was still a big deal to me because it was the first time Abby's gone out alone with friends. In the past, there's always been a seasoned adult (read: parent) along for the ride.

I kind of knew it was time to give her some freedom, so when Maddie enthusiastically asked if she'd like to go shopping, I knew "yes" was the right answer, even if the idea made my heart lurch a little in my chest.

She's growing up, that girl of mine. And though it's a good thing --I'm more keenly aware than most of just what kind of a blessing it is since loss like mine puts reality into sharper focus, in a way-- it's also a bittersweet one. But I'm thankful nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment