Sunday, August 27, 2017

August 27

We celebrated the July birthdays at the in-laws' house today, so that meant we recognized my sister-in-law Emily, and Logan. For a few years there, Logan wasn't really included in the celebrating, so honestly, I didn't expect much today. But I was pleasantly surprised by the "Cars 3" napkins and by how I felt his presence --in whatever way that's possible-- as we all sang happy birthday to the two honorees. At one point, as I watched Brady help his cousin Theo cut up small bites of cake and nibbled at my own, I glanced over and saw this:

Of course, it's a photo of Isaac and my cutie nephew AJ, but it's also a picture of a single slice of cake. In the moment that it came into view, I thought "that's Logan's piece." And I think, in whatever way it's possible, it was indeed his piece.

The truth that he continues to be remembered and celebrated is a major gift to me.

1 comment: