Sunday, August 18, 2019

August 18

We've been friends with Kristine since 1996, when we all met as members of the freshman class at Claremont McKenna College in southern California. So it stands to reason that we've collected lots of fun memories over the course of the last 23 years, from the time she and I (and another good friend) snapped the accelerator cable in other friend's dad's car and wound up stranded on the Grapevine one dark evening to fence-hopping in the Lake District in the UK to her serving as one of my bridesmaids 17 years ago yesterday. So we were, of course, delighted when she fell in love with a boy (because she's totally a cougar) in our town and moved here last year. And now, the happy couple is having a baby, and today, we got to celebrate her impending arrival at their baby shower.

Kristine has always been something of a brooder and she's had plenty to overcome over the duration of our friendship, but she's in a really good place right now and I'm thrilled that she's legitimately, thoroughly, delightfully happy.

Although she's not a religious person per se, I've always held her in my prayers, and I'm so thankful to see her feeling content and at ease with her life. And I really can't wait to see how much more awesome our poser-goth friend becomes when baby girl arrives and she earns her long-time-coming mommy stripes.

No comments:

Post a Comment