Wednesday, August 21, 2019

August 21

I'm going to make an ugly confession: I like approval. And acknowledgement. I know that I shouldn't; I know that the knowledge that God created me and that I'm unique and that I'm loved as I am regardless of what anyone does --or does not-- say or think is what should matter to me. And it does. Sometimes.

But I'm human, and I've had a really, really hard couple of years (okay nine. Nine years). I've taken on a handful of roles that were largely thankless, and came away from the experiences feeling drained. And unappreciated. And, in some cases, used. Given that my recent turn as PTA President was one of those roles, I was a little hesitant to accept my successor's invitation to tonight's general meeting, but I went anyway. And I when I got there, I was surprised to see myself on the agenda under an item named 'honor the outgoing president'. I was tempted to turn tail and run when I saw it (since although I crave attention, I don't handle it well!), but I didn't.

And I'm glad I stayed.

The president --who was my treasurer for most of last year and who is extraordinarily competent and will be a wonderful leader-- said some really kind things about me, and then presented me with this little pin (which is for past unit presidents).

I'm thankful that that part of my life is in the past, but I'm also thankful for the gesture and her kindness. We all need those little confidence boosters now and then, so I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment