Saturday, March 7, 2020

March 7

'Twas a good start to the 2020 little league season for the Wight boys, who both went 2-for-3 at the plate and drove in runs (four for Isaac, one for Brady) for their teams. Brady was the first pitcher of the AA Cardinals' season and struck out three, and Isaac --who hadn't pitched in two seasons-- ate 1/3 of an inning for the Majors White Sox and earned a strikeout of his own. Brady's team earned a 6-4 win, while Isaac's wound up on the short end of a 9-12 final, though theirs was an exhibition game so it won't count as part of their record. And the last bit? Isaac was given the game ball for his offensive and defensive efforts.

It was a cold, intermittently rainy, nasty kind of day, but I loved being out there watching them play. I loved seeing Brady pump his fist after posting his third strikeout in the first inning and I loved watching Isaac grin at nothing in particular as he played second base (his favorite position). I loved hearing them cheer for their teammates and I loved listening to them call out the game situation. They just love baseball. And though I've always followed the sport myself --suffering Orioles fan am I-- watching them enjoy it and seeing how they've improved as the years have passed by make me love it even more than before.

So yep, this evening I'm grateful for baseball. I'm thankful that we live in a town with good coaches who are willing to volunteer their time to teach and I'm grateful for access to such a beautiful set of fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment