Friday, April 8, 2022

April 8

It was a busy day for sure. I left the hotel a wee bit later than I ought've so it began in frazzly fashion, but after a few wrong turns and an eventual stop at a Mother Ship, I made my way to campus and into the opening session, where I met up with Abby. By all indications, she was paired up with the absolute perfect overnight hosts for her (Marvel fan? Check. Pun-lover? Check. English majors? Check. Truly uncanny. And most definitely a God-thing.)

I could walk through the entire day like Abby just did for Adam over the phone from her spot on the next bed over, but I'll sum it up as best I can with as few words as possible: chapel was beautiful. The dining hall food was excellent. (Seriously, I could eat the squash for days and not get tired of it.) The people were kind and welcoming. It rained and snowed on and off all day long and it was (obviously) cold outside, but the people we encountered were so genuinely warm that they made the less-than-awesome weather seem (well, largely) unimportant.

After the program formally ended, we headed to downtown Wheaton for dinner at The Social Burger, which someone recommended to me earlier in the day, and it was terrific -- great burgers and delicious pretzel bites, too. And because we're us, we also went to Walmart and to the Mother Ship for some early evening refreshments of the caffeinated ilk. And now we're settled into our hotel room watching our second movie of the night.

I think it's been a very good day. Although she's still not totally sure where she'll go in the fall, I'm heartened by our experience here and feel confident that if she winds up here in the Chicago 'burbs, she'll be just fine. And for that not-small blessing, I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment