Friday, June 13, 2014

June 13

Today marked the last day of school for Abby and Isaac. It also marked the final day as a full-time teacher for Mrs. Sjodahl.

Our family first got to know Mrs. S when Abby had her for kindergarten. She was kind and funny and always willing to lend an ear to me (and a snack to my kids! I think Abby, Logan, and Isaac went through quite a few treats in her classroom back in 2009-10).

When we found out Logan was sick, she agreed to help keep watch over Abby, who by then was in first grade, at school. And after he died, she mourned with us and reminded me that he'd simply moved on. She never tried to explain it or make light of it; she just said in her own words that it sucked. And that was that.

Then this year, she served as one of Isaac's two teachers. And there were more treats and more kind words and more off-hours sharing of faith.

I'm sad that Brady won't have her as his teacher (and of course, that Logan didn't get to, either), but as I wrote to her in a note I put in her retirement book, she may not have been their classroom teacher, but she taught them anyway. She taught them about kindness and sharing and loving other people in practical ways.

And all of that... a blessing indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment