Monday, June 2, 2014

June 2

The fourth grade is nearly over for Abby. It's been a challenging year in a lot of ways --for both of us-- but I feel like she's learned a lot.

But academics aside, today was a fun kind of day for her class as they, in conjunction with another class, put on a play about the California Gold Rush.

She didn't have an actual part --she didn't get the one she auditioned for and wasn't chosen when she raised her hand for other roles that didn't require try-outs-- but she did have a function: she was the kid who passed the cues from the music teacher to the boy in charge of playing the music.

I'm proud of her for being happy with a behind-the-scenes kind of role. A lot of people gravitate toward the spotlight and I confess that I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to see her shine on stage, but I'm pleased that she wants to help in a capacity that earns her no outward praise or notice.

I could totally learn from her example.

No comments:

Post a Comment