Saturday, December 20, 2014

December 20

This year, I decided to tape our Christmas cards to the kitchen cabinets. The smiling faces and glittery seasonal scenes create a nice, cheerful space.

With that little random comment made, here's the meat of this entry. I'm sure that people who send us cards have a tough task at hand: do they include Logan's name or not? Would it be more painful for us to see his name there along with ours, or to not see it? It's such a sensitive topic that I've shied away from discussing it here, but I figured, given the visceral reaction I had to one specific card we received, that I should bring it up.

This card came from a good friends of ours who shall remain nameless (but who shall, no doubt, recognize her own handwriting when she sees this). Most folks don't include his name anymore. And I understand why. Like I said, I completely get that it's hard to know what to do, and I certainly don't want anyone to ever feel bad about not writing his name. But I caught my breath and cried when I saw this one, because it means she remembers him and considers him part of our family, even though he's not physically with us. My heart sings out when people talk about him, so this tiny gesture meant everything to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment