Saturday, December 6, 2014

December 6

Today was notable for several reasons. One was Abby's birthday party which featured a trip to CPK and Build a Bear with my girl and four of her good friends. One was the stunning sunset sky this evening. But the moment I'm using is from tonight.

Abby and the Little Boys take weekly swim lessons. She'd been working hard to earn her next ribbon for some time, but it just wasn't happening. In fact, last week she came home in tears, convinced that she'd never get it.

But today, she did. And since Adam --who usually takes them to class-- was under the weather, I got to be there to see her moment of victory. After she touched the wall and came up, her teacher said something to her, and I saw her light up with enthusiasm. That expression --that look of exuberance-- is something moms like me live to see on their kids' faces. And for the blessing of being there, I'm so thankful. It is, of course, a blessing to be the one who offers consolation and comfort in the wake of disappointment (as was my role last week and the weeks prior), but being an active part of victorious moments is something really special.

No comments:

Post a Comment