Monday, December 8, 2014

December 8

Some days, human life feels oppressively dark and the future of our world seems bleak and uncertain. I was troubled all day long by news of a tragic plane crash just a mile from my mom's house that lowered the veil of death between members of a young family. I was troubled by news that a vote held by our church congregation yesterday spurred discord among some members. And underlying all of that, I simply didn't feel especially well.

Tonight, as Adam and the kiddos watched some of the football game, I stepped outside to get some air and to try to clear my head. I stared up at the dark buy still visibly overcast sky for quite some time, pondering a number of weighty topics. And then suddenly, from behind that thick swath of clouds, the moon emerged.

Initially, the light was so bright that I almost had to look away. But in that instant, I was reminded of an important truth: even when the darkness is pressing in hard and the world seems painted black, the light is still there. Sometimes, it's just hard to see it, but it's never gone. And for that knowledge, I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment