Wednesday, December 24, 2014

December 24

I ran a few last-minute errands around town this Christmas Eve morning. After hitting the grocery store and the dollar store, I made my way to Walmart, where I encountered the most enthusiastic and inspirational Salvation Army bell ringer I'd ever seen.

I don't know her name or anything about her, but I know without a doubt that this lady knows what it means to truly embrace the spirit and cheer of the season. As she rung her bell, she called out to passersby with amazing enthusiasm, regardless of whether they added a dime to her kettle. Merry Christmas!! God bless you!! Santa will be so good to you, I can tell!! Even more remarkably, she offered the same salutations to even those who pretended she wasn't there at all.

I couldn't help smiling as I passed by, dropped a coin into the bucket, and continued across the street. Then something made me pause, and I turned around, crossed back over, and approached her to tell her she was awesome. And after a nanosecond of hesitation, I gave her a hug, too.

She was delighted. She looked at me with a radiant grin and told me that that meant everything to her. Then she again said God bless you and I headed home, smiling all the way.

I love it when the love of God shines so brightly through someone that it's impossible to ignore or dismiss it. That, my friends, is a God-thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment