Tuesday, August 25, 2015

August 25

First day of school: check! And from all appearances, it was a good day for all involved.

While Brady and I enjoyed a moms' gathering at a local eatery, Isaac embarked upon his second grade year and Abby took her first steps as a middle schooler. I won't lie: I was super-de-duper nervous for Abby. She started off the day very, very nervous, which meant she was extra snippety with everyone. I prayed for her probably every half-hour; that she'd feel peace, that she'd find her classes, that she'd be comfortable. I could ramble on and on, but I'll get down to the blessing highlights.

When the dismissal bell rang at stop number one --the elementary school-- Isaac quickly appeared and greeted me with a hug. When I asked how his day was, he responded with an exceedingly cheerful "good!" and then told me snippets from his time in the classroom. Almost none of his good friends are in his class, but hearing him talk so contentedly about his day put my heart at ease. It broke my heart a little when he said he ate lunch alone, but he was so okay with it that I was blown away by his confidence.

Then... Abby. After a failed attempt to wait for her in the very crowded pick-up lane, I parked on a nearby street and walked the boys over to the front of the school to wait. After the bell rang, she turned up relatively quickly, and didn't look angry when she realized I was there with her brothers in tow. (Blessing number one.) Then, she actually told me a lot about her day. And I didn't even have to wheedle the information out of her -- she offered it up. Wow. (Blessing number two.) Then as we approached the car, I saw Barbara, our friend from church, standing on the sidewalk waiting for us. She said she recognized our car, and wanted to make sure that we knew which house was hers in case I'm ever running late and Abby needs someplace to go. (Blessing number three.) And that whole exchange was a God thing: I parked almost directly in front of her house without knowing it was her house. (Blessing number four.)

So yeah: a good day. And good days are always brimming with God winks.

No comments:

Post a Comment