Monday, January 22, 2018

January 22

I am stubborn and Adam is stubborn, so it's no surprise that we came together to produce children who are... stubborn. Doubly, extra-specially stubborn, even. And this guy is perhaps the most stubborn of the lot of us:

This particular stand-off began when I told him I didn't want him to play in the sandbox after school. (It was wet. Wet sand is gross. And remarkably sticky.) He glared at me, crossed his arms across his chest, and plunked down on that bench. A friend asked him if he wanted to join the other kids on the play structure. He gave his head a curt shake - nope. Not happening. But wouldn't it be more fun to play than to just sit there? I asked. Another glare. No. (Of course not. Sitting on benches is awesome.) He sat there for a good 20 minutes, until I finally turned around (don't worry, I could still feel his beady little eyes boring into the back of my head) and pushed the ignore button. Then he got up and played.

Although stubbornness is a frustrating trait --and hello, I see lots of it from Brady in particular. He is the kid who once kept a bite of broccoli (or something equally vile) tucked into his cheek for three hours-- it's also something of a blessing in disguise because it means (or at least I sincerely hope it means) he won't be terribly susceptible to peer pressure.

And just the thought of that potential blessing makes me breathe a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment