Tuesday, January 9, 2018

January 9

Abby and two of her best friends are more or less obsessed with "Hamilton," and they've dubbed themselves the Schuyler sisters. One of them turned 14 last month, and Abby decided that she wanted to make an Angelica doll for her as a gift. Given that her first foray into sewing didn't go particularly well, she'd never in her life made a doll, and she's resistant to using patterns, I wasn't particularly optimistic about her plans to freehand the entire thing. But despite my lukewarm response to the project, she forged onward, acquired the fabric and supplies from JoAnn's using her a chunk of her Christmas money, and made a pretty terrific doll, which she presented to said friend this evening.

I hate to admit it because I'm one of my kids' biggest fans, but I absolutely underestimated what she could do. The way she designed each piece --the head, limbs, body, face, hair, dress... all of it-- and carefully stitched it together with zero guidance from anyone or anything blows my mind.

She's good at so many different things, and it's an honor and an enormous blessing to be able to watch her grow and expand her repertoire of abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment