Monday, January 8, 2018

January 8

So this is a pretty lousy picture, but it's the only one I managed to snap and the story behind it is really good.

See, the Little Boys went back to school today, but Abby was off. (Middle and high schoolers get an extra day of Winter Break. I'm not entirely sure why, but that's the way it is.) It rained all day long, so I went to retrieve Brady by myself this afternoon. We came home, and then Abby opted to return to the school for Isaac's pick-up time (since no, they aren't released at the same time) so she could say hi to some of her old teachers.

Anyway, when the bell rang and Isaac came into view, the unexpected happened: Abby, from afar, shouted "Isaac! My brother Isaac! I love you so much!" and ran to give him a hug. Kids stared. Teachers stared. Isaac turned a vibrant shade of tomato-red and laughed like a fiend because although no doubt embarrassed, he loved the attention. But none of that dampened Abby's enthusiasm as she lifted him off the ground and loudly reiterated "Isaac! My brother! I love you!"

There are times when my daughter is suitably embarrassed, like this morning in Safeway when, after we'd bought some donuts to go with my coffee (and her water -- homegirl does not need coffee just yet) I followed her toward the exit asking her if she wanted to hold mummy's hand. (She ignored me.) But I love that she went overboard for Isaac, because of all of my kids, he's probably the one who most wonders if he's truly loved. So that unexpected and exuberant display of sisterly affection for a kid who probably really needed it was a huge blessing to me.

1 comment: