Sunday, August 25, 2013

August 25

Today marked the final day of summer vacation. It's bittersweet to know that Abby and Isaac will be headed off to school in the morning. For the most part, I've treasured having them home with me 24/7. I'm not one of those moms who counts down the days til she can pass her kids off to a teacher. You can't lose a child and be that way. But at the same time, I know it's good for them to learn new things and make new friends. So off to class they'll go.

But not without one more late-summer evening walk. With Otter Pops in hand, we headed out for our customary stroll. It was beautiful and temperate outside, and the quiet time with my fam was just what I needed to get ready for tomorrow's festivities, as we watch our sweet girl move on to fourth grade and Isaac make his mark during day one of kindergarten.

I know it'll be a day of mixed emotions; the first day of school is always a challenge for me, as I look at the kids who are Logan's age and wonder for the upteenth time why our efforts weren't good enough to secure him a second chance at this life. But all of that's neither here nor there, because we're blessed to have children here with us, and blessed to be able to send them to school where they'll grow and learn and develop and influence others.

And that has to be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment