Friday, August 30, 2013

August 30

I had an interesting interaction with a stranger this morning.

I took Brady to the mall so we could buy some hand soap. He'd been very patient while I waited to have some blood drawn this morning, so before heading to Bath and Body Works to indulge my fall-scentaholism, I treated him to a hash brown and orange juice at McDonalds. As we sat at our table, I noticed an older man sipping a cup of coffee and watching us. A minute later, he approached, and politely asked if I was baby-sitting. I thought it was an odd thing to say, but responded no, he's mine. The man nodded, then asked if he could ask me a question. Feeling just slightly creeped out, I said okay, and he asked he to name the best teacher I ever had.

Random!

I had no idea where he was going with it, but I thought for a moment before picking one of my favorite elementary school teachers. The man smiled and nodded. Then he gestured toward Brady, and said that guy right there is the best teacher you'll ever have in life.

And you know something? Right then and there, I realized how right he was. I longed to go back and change my answer to the question, because looking at it from his broader perspective, I just knew that I should've said Logan. He taught me grace under pressure, patience, acceptance, wisdom... so many things. Of course, my other kids are great teachers, too. And I'm sure they will continue to be in the years to come.

What a blessing it was that someone I didn't even know felt compelled to give me such a salient reminder of what is true and real.

1 comment: