Thursday, August 29, 2013

August 29

I know, I know: Me and my Corvettes! But there's a good story behind this one.

After dropping Abby off at school this morning, Adam and I headed to CHO with the Little Boys in tow because Isaac had a date to have ear tubes inserted and his adenoids removed.

I felt that same old sense of bittersweet nostalgia as we entered the parking garage, took the elevator down to the ground level and made our way to the outpatient waiting area. After Isaac went into surgery, I took a little stroll down to the second floor to visit Philippa, the neuro oncology nurse coordinator. She was a significant person in our lives after Logan came home following treatment. I probably talked to her at least five times a week, and she was my go-to person for any questions or concerns. But perhaps best of all, she always used the term 'my friend' when referring to me. When you're feeling alone, floating in a sea of uncertainty, that kind of sentiment is more valuable than gold. Anyway, though she attended Logan's memorial service, she didn't stick around to talk to us, so I'd always felt a distinct lack of closure there. It was such a blessing to stand and talk for a few minutes, and to once again say thank you. And to assure her that deep down, I knew that she'd done everything she could for Logan.

After Isaac came out of surgery and came to, I helped him get dressed, and the recovery room nurse wheeled over the cart of toys. Isaac quickly honed in on a magnetic dart board, and Brady asked if he too could pick something to take home. Wanting to leave the bigger toys for actual patients, I noticed a couple of loose Hot Wheels cars on the top rack, and snagged one to have a look-see. I was stunned to find that I'd chosen a Batman-themed Corvette.

Logan, of course, loved Corvettes. But what you may not realize is that Isaac loves super heroes. So seeing Brady wind up with that car... it felt almost like Logan was telling us he was there and joining with Isaac to give their little brother a special collective hug.

The whole thing felt pretty winkish to me.

1 comment: