Thursday, February 16, 2017

February 16

I had an off day. I think my heart knew it would be a challenging one when I woke up, because a few seconds after my feet hit the carpet, I flopped back down on the bed and prayed very sincerely that I would have the wherewithal to get through to the end. And I did, but it was... hard.

The thing is, nothing really bad actually happened. Sure, I began the day with a head full of self-doubt, but I quickly realized that it wasn't productive so I tried to squash the thoughts. And yes, the afternoon hours were insane: school pick-ups, followed almost immediately by Isaac's baseball practice at a park I'd never been to (and had trouble finding) across town, then Brady's t-ball practice, then Abby's dance class. At some point I realized the car was almost out of gas so I had to carve out a few minutes to take care of that, too. By the time I'd loaded the boys into the car to head to Isaac's practice, I was just done. I cried from the house to the field, and when we arrived, I was horrified when I looked in the mirror and realized that my mascara was not waterproof. I felt tired, defeated, lonely, (and stupid for looking like a raccoon in public). Still kind of do.

It just happens sometimes: I have bad days. We all do (and anyone who says otherwise is lying). We all make mistakes. We all get sad and regret doing or saying something every now and then. We all get overwhelmed. But the good news --for me, anyway-- is that tomorrow is another day. And there's also this:

This image is from Brady's practice tonight. It's hard to see, but Brady is near the center of the image. He's wearing a huge smile and is looking up toward the sky. I was a little surprised when I saw it, because I genuinely have no idea what inspired the grin and the look of wonderment. But I'm thankful for it because it's a reminder to me to just look up, smile, and bask in the rays of the sun the next time I've struggled through a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment