Monday, February 20, 2017

February 20

One of the bigger sacrifices I've made in my adult life involves where we live. I grew up in suburban Maryland and the great majority of my family is still there, but Adam is a lifelong California boy and loves it, so I've been here for nearly 20 years. I've established a pretty good life here over time, but a small part of me always longs for home.

We were wandering the aisles of Costco this afternoon when I saw this and got ridiculously excited:

To the uninitiated, it looks like a big container of some weird spice with an even weirder name. To a Marylander who's out of state, it's like looking at a piece of home. Old Bay is an iconic seasoning that's made in the Cheasapeake Bay area in Maryland, and it's something of a staple in pantries back home.

I have no idea how long they've carried it and how many times I've walked by without seeing it on the shelf, but I'm glad I saw it today because I needed a hug from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment