Monday, July 10, 2017

July 9

Today was an adventure day, and unlike our other adventure days this past week, we did something we'd already done on a previous trip to Kaua'i: we took a hike out to Gillin's Beach. We started at Shipwrecks Beach in Poipu and followed the trail along the ocean, up and down along the jagged coastline. It's a lovely stroll, though it was warm, humid day --more humid than it's been most of the week-- so the sun certainly did a thorough job of tiring us out.

When we got to Gillin's, we found the beach mostly empty save a few folks in beach chairs and a monk seal (!) soaking up some rays. (We took a selfie with him on our way out). The Little Boys and Adam had fun standing in the water as the waves rolled in, and giggled fiendishly as the force of the ocean knocked them around a bit. Abby amused herself first by singing Moana songs while sitting at the edge of the water, and then later by burying herself under an impressive mound of sand. I'm not a huge ocean-person, so I stayed mostly dry and wandered up and down the coastline.

After the hike back to the car (and it's a serious walk -- three miles each way) we headed back to the house to hose ourselves down, and then out for some shave ice. Then dinner, then a walk to the club for some ice cream, then back again. And that brings me to now.

So here's my reflection for today. While I watched Adam and the boys in the water, I remembered enjoying the same activity with my grandma in Ocean City, Maryland. We'd stand there holding hands just a few feet into the Atlantic and let the waves crash into us. Every now and then the force would knock me over, and I remember how she'd quickly scoop me back to my feet. And then we'd start all over again. That was a long time ago, but I remember it like it was just a few years ago. Watching my kiddos enjoy the same activities I enjoyed when I was their age is a blessing. And those memories... they're priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment