Friday, May 31, 2019

May 31

Today was the last day of school. It doubled as an exceptionally busy last day of school, so I didn't have much of a chance to think about it all until now. And this is what I've got.

Like first days of school, last days of school are always a little bit surreal, and this one didn't stray from that norm. It's strange and vaguely disconcerting that Logan didn't just finish seventh grade and that next year will be our first year with kids at three different (high, middle, and elementary) schools and not our third. So I could get stuck on those ruminations, but I can't because although I have to have those thoughts and I have to honor them, I also have to be grateful for what is. And what is is pretty terrific: Brady finished second grade, an intermittently teary-eyed and dapper-looking Isaac was promoted to middle school, and Abby advanced beyond that oft-difficult (though not for her!) introductory year of high school.

Sure, there are things about this life that I really, really wish I could change and those things loom larger than usual on days like today. But I'm thankful for another good year of school for my kids, for the great teachers who encouraged and cared for them each day, and for the friends who made the hours more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment