Wednesday, May 19, 2021

May 19

When I got home from an appointment early this afternoon, I found the contents of the pantry lined up alongside the kitchen cabinets and a still-pajamaed Isaac sweeping a pile of random debris into the center of the room. Then he picked up the vacuum and with a quick zoop, the mess was gone. I was stunned to silence by the scene.

When I got over my surprise and asked what he was doing, he gave me a "duh, mom" look and replied with an obvious "I'm cleaning the pantry." And then he turned his attention back to his task and moved an errant box of cereal to a different shelf.

When I asked why he was cleaning the pantry, he shrugged and said he was bored and needed something to do. 

I was dumbstruck. A nearly 13-year old boy with a computer, a phone, a video game system, baseball equipment, and a pool in his yard decided --completely on his own-- that cleaning out and re-organizing a walk-in pantry would be the best way to spend four hours of his time.

When I regained my senses, I thanked him for his hard work. (And I thanked him again later because he did a legitimately fabulous job. Seriously, I think it looks better now than it did when we moved in last year. Even Abby saw it and told him that he did an epic job. Getting those props from his big sister is probably the biggest reward of all for him.) I am so thankful for who he is and for his wonderfully good heart. He is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment