Friday, May 28, 2021

May 28

Today was the last day of this undeniably wacky school year: the last day of junior year for Abby, the last day of 7th grade for Isaac, and the last day of 4th grade for Brady. 

And honestly, it was a bittersweet kind of day for me.

See, this fall, all three of them will begin "last years". The last year of elementary school for Brady. The last year of middle school for Isaac. And most mind-blowingly, the last year of high school for Abby. 

Now don't get it twisted: I'm absolutely thrilled for them and for their futures and I cannot wait to watch as God unfolds His no-doubt awesome plans for their lives. But it's a lot to watch ONE child transition from one school to another; from one phase of life to the next. But THREE at once... just the thought is utterly overwhelming to this girl who isn't real big on change.

And on top of that, I have to contend with the always hard truth that Logan "should" be here but isn't; that the one kid who would've --as either a 9th or 10th grader in the fall-- not been in the midst of a major transitional year won't be here to help keep me grounded. And I expect that as we celebrate all of those milestones as the year progresses, I'll feel the reality of that loss even more keenly than usual. Because although celebrations are still wonderful, they're also permanently bittersweet.

But anyway, school's out. The summer awaits. They're continuing to grow (and in Isaac's case, grow and grow and grow, it seems). And for those not-small blessings, I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment