Monday, May 24, 2021

May 24

I was out back examining my seedlings early this afternoon when I made a happy discovery:

The bell pepper plant that appeared to come back from the dead --it turned entirely brown and grey last fall, but slowly, gradually sprouted new leaves this spring-- has several flower buds. It's going to produce peppers again.

I guess as a lifelong fan of gardening I probably should've realized that bell peppers can be perennials if they're treated properly during the "off season," but given that I'd never had success growing any until last summer and I did absolutely nothing to winterize the little guy, this is a pleasant surprise (and kinda sorta miraculous turn of events) for me. 

Beyond all of that, the presence of those little flowers reinforces an all-important, life-giving truth that Jesus came to share with us: He can --and will!-- breathe new life into things that seem dead, into situations that feel hopeless, into jams that we just can't escape under our own power. And for that mighty bit of good news, I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment