Thursday, November 20, 2014

November 20

I don't often use photos that picture my kids when they're ticked off, but this story amused me so much that I had to do it, just this once.

For some reason, Abby (and Isaac, to some degree) decided to put on a little Thanksgiving play after school today. They made their costumes and rehearsed before calling me into the room to watch. After Abby and Isaac (wearing enormous pilgrim-style hats) "crossed the ocean to the new world," Isaac did a little jig while Abby changed into her "Native American" garb and helped Isaac learn how to plant his crops.

I don't remember exactly how it all progressed, but at some point, they mused that they needed a big fat turkey for dinner, and Brady appeared, a turkey face hat on his head and paper feathers stuck to his bum. Isaac squealed, yelled "BANG BANG" and Brady fell over. Then Abby picked him up and heaved him onto the table, explaining that it was time for everyone to eat. This is when Brady decided he no longer wanted to play the turkey and wriggled away.

I don't know; maybe it was a had-to-be-there kind of moment. But all I know is I'll treasure the memory of that little play, both because it showed off their collective creativity, and because it made me laugh. It's important to laugh sometimes, and I know I don't do it nearly often enough, so those unexpected moments of glee are a blessing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment