Monday, December 28, 2015

December 28

Today, we finally took the kiddos to DC. I have to cheat and use multiple pics because there were just so many special moments that I couldn't choose just one.

We drove down --well, Adam drove, since I flatly refuse to drive in or anywhere near DC and Metro tickets are almost offensively expensive-- and found parking rather surprisingly easily in a public lot. From there, we walked. And walked and walked some more. We saw the White House (along with its tight and very obvious security), the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, the WW2 Memorial (which was actually under construction the last time we were in DC, back when it was just me and Adam), the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial, the Air and Space Museum, the Natural History Museum, and, as an added bonus, the National Christmas Tree. And I'm sure I'm leaving something out.

It was blustery, overcast, and just plain cold --and it even rained for a short while-- but I think we had a good time together. Better yet, we made memories, like Brady eating his entire Mighty Kids Meal at the overpriced McDonalds inside the Air and Space Museum and the strangeness of seeing the pink of cherry blossoms in late-December (it has been insanely temperate during our visit, but still -- late December?!) and Abby pausing to read every word of the text printed on the wall inside the Lincoln Memorial and later choosing her favorite Martin Luther King quote at his memorial. And for me personally, there was the flood of memories that washed over me the very second we stepped inside the Natural History Museum. For a few seconds, it was as if I'd been transported back in time to enjoy another elementary school field trip with my friends. Although I never spent a lot of time in DC, I felt very at home and at peace in that moment.

As we headed toward the car, Abby admitted that despite an initial lack of enthusiasm, she'd had fun seeing a slice of what the city has to offer. And I had an amazing time seeing it all over again with my little family. It was a blessing indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment