Tuesday, December 8, 2015

December 8

Brady doesn't have preschool on Tuesdays, so we ran some errands this morning. After we'd taken a photo with the fake dog at Old Navy (seriously, the Little Boys love that pup) and selected a book for his class book exchange, the needle on my energy tank was dangerously close to the big E so we skipped (well, he skipped and I walked) across the parking lot for a Starbucks pit stop. As we waited in line, I asked what he wanted for lunch. He looked up at me, smiled his gorgeous grin, and replied "Red Tractor." I started to say no, but something stopped me. Instead, I took his hand, turned around, and walked across the way to Red Tractor.

Why? In that moment, I was struck by a truth that made me a little sad: he's my baby and he'll be in kindergarten next year, so I'm running out of chances to enjoy those spur of the moment, weekday-light kid-lunch dates. So I changed course and said okay, and we sat together and ate in that mostly empty restaurant.

Time is absolutely soaring by at warp speed, and I'm thankful that today, I chose to slow down a little to savor a moment with my muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment