Saturday, April 22, 2017

April 22

We had a scary moment during Isaac's baseball game this morning.

Moments after the coach subbed in a new catcher, the batter for the other team took a Herculean swing that, quite unfortunately, wound up whacking our new little catcher in the arm.

The next moments were a confusing blur of Will dropping to the ground and writhing in pain, the coach and one of the other dads rushing to his side, and a whole lot of concern from around the diamond. I'm the Team Mom so I got up to check on the extent of the injury --which was termed a possible fracture by a doc on-hand-- and then went out to the outfield where much of my family was seated to share what was going on at the plate.

As I turned to head back to the bleachers, I noticed that Isaac's entire team had taken a knee on the field. In the moment, my mind was far too busy so I didn't think to take a pic, but the gesture made my eyes mist over.

I'm sure someone probably told them to do it, but there was just something so sweet about seeing all of those little boys down on their little knees as the grown-ups helped their injured friend and teammate. A straight-up gesture of kindness and respect is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment