Wednesday, April 26, 2017

April 26

Yep, this is another baseball post. It's been a very baseball-y week.

Isaac's team played again today. It was their third game in five days, so honestly, I didn't have high expectations because that's a lot of ball for a bunch of eight and nine-year olds. But they surprised me. They didn't win --far from it, really-- but it was totally obvious that they were having fun, and some of that fun translated to good at-bats. And much of the fun originated with these two goofballs:

I wound up being the Adult Game Coordinator by default, so I spent the game in the dugout. As is often the case during after-school games, the boys were quiet during the first inning, so I pushed them to pay attention and cheer for each other. And then Aiden (who is on the left, next to Isaac) took the reigns. And let me tell you something: the "little but mighty" moniker definitely defines this kid. He and Isaac --and eventually, the other boys-- cheered every teammate who came up to the plate for the rest of the game.

They may not end the season with a winning record, but if they can approach every game left with this kind of good cheer, they'll definitely be winners in my book.

(Incidentally, in case you wondered --family, I'm looking in your direction-- Isaac had two hits and struck out three batters, which earned him the game ball.)

No comments:

Post a Comment