Monday, April 24, 2017

April 24

I didn't sleep well overnight and had a headache from the moment I turned off my alarm clock, so I had low expectations for today. But in spite of my negative outlook, this particular Monday wasn't bad at all: I got some work done, went to Isaac's 'Take Your Parent to PE' day at school (and will no doubt pay for that little act of love tomorrow morning), and watched Isaac's team win a game this evening while chatting it up with a friend. All good things. So it's not really surprising to me that I wasn't sure what to write about this evening. But then Abby showed me this:

It's an excerpt from the book she read for her Individual Reading project in Language Arts this quarter. I have something of a big mouth so it's hard to render me speechless, but this particular exchange between the characters --and in particular, the paragraph toward the center of the image-- managed to accomplish the feat.

After collecting my thoughts, I croaked "Profound." Abby nodded (and after I confirmed the meaning of said word), so she said "It's almost like I can hear Logan saying it."

I can, too. He may not have been with us nearly long enough, but he made every second count. And I'm thankful that this random bit of dialogue --spoken by a character named Logan-- is around to remind me of the truth that though his race was short, it was run with a tremendous amount of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment