Friday, December 29, 2017

December 29

Back before my grandpa died in 2009, both he and my grandma would come to our post-Christmas photo shoots. Since then, however, my grandma has opted out. So when my mom came by today to pick up Abby and me to go shopping, I had to pause to take this photo of four generations of women:

Me (39), Abby (13), mom (71), and grandma (95).

I'm no fool; I know that we won't have many more chances to take this particular picture during this all-too human lifetime of ours. But I'm glad that I had the opportunity to do so today (and I'm thankful for the chuckle I got when my grandma saw me pull out my phone and lamented 'are we taking another selfie?!' Funny lady, she can be).

I'm thankful for all of the ladies in this image: for my mom for pouring so much of herself into raising me, for my grandma for being around so much when I was a kid, and for my daughter for being the amazing, bright, and talented young woman she is -- and for being the next strong woman in this line of remarkable gals. I may not see eye to eye with all of them all the time, but they've all had tremendous roles in helping to shape me into the person I am today. So for all of them, I'm very thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment