Thursday, December 7, 2017

December 7

I'm probably inadvertently begging him to have a dramatic personality shift by writing this, but I feel like I should give credit --and thanks-- where it's due: Brady is one of the most patient kids I've ever known. He spiked a fever yesterday after school and I'm a big rule follower --it goes hand-in-hand with having had a critically ill child-- so I kept him home. I rescheduled a lunch date, but opted to keep my morning coffee meet-up. I took him along for the ride, set him up at his own table (in the virtually empty Starbucks, which was a miracle in and of itself given how busy it usually is on Thursdays), and sat down at the next table over with my friend for some long overdue chat time.

I gave him a notebook, crayons, two Hot Wheels cars, a donut, a vanilla yogurt, and a cup of ice water, and he sat there quietly amusing himself for two hours. He interrupted us maybe twice to ask how much longer we planned to talk, and when I replied, he just nodded and went back to his table without another word. And he's six.

His patient perseverance has always been --and continues to be-- a giant and most definitely undeserved blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment