Sunday, December 3, 2017

December 3

We decorated our Christmas tree today. It's been up and illuminated for over a week but until now, the desire to drag the boxes in from the garage --and down from our room-- had eluded both of us.

Honestly, trimming the tree is always a little bit bittersweet for me. I have this distinct memory of Logan --exhausted from treatment-- performing a lovely, lyrical dance in front of the tree for just a few moments as the other kids worked to decorate. It wound up being one of his final dances since he lost the ability to walk just a few weeks later. So yes. It's bittersweet.

But still, I enjoyed watching Abby, Isaac, and Brady rooting through boxes and finding the ones they each wanted to hang: the homemade photo frames featuring their sweet preschool faces, the Cars characters, the fun ones that play music or light up. And though it's easy to be sad, I had to smile a bit when I looked at this image after I took it and realized that Logan is indeed in it, front and center, in one of those old preschool photo frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment